Search This Blog

15 October 2013

You Can Do It


I want to share something with those of you who are in abusive relationships and think you have no way out, no escape.

The night I finally left my abuser, I was terrified. So many things were running through my mind. Where would I go? How would I get there? What would I do for money? How would I feed my child? Would I end up in a shelter? What if I can't find a job? What if he finds me? Will the courts and the police help me? 

Questions like this kept me from leaving so many times in the past. The biggest obstacle to leaving was fear. I was afraid, no terrified, that I would not be able to survive on my own. I had no job and no prospect for a job. 

I had $124 when I left my abuser. That's all I had to my name. 

Friends came through for me and I found a job. I left with nothing, lost everything except a few clothes, but we made it. We are doing good now. We have a home, food, clothes and a car. We have friends. We have a new life free from fear and violence.

The obstacles you imagine are far greater than the obstacles you will actually encounter. You can do it. Don't stay in an abusive relationship. Get out. Ask for help. Reach out. You will find that you are far more capable than you imagine.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Amazon

Like to Write?

ShareThis